I’d like to talk about Watchmen for this week’s journal. While
reading I was convinced that Rorschach was the good guy and eventually he would
fix it all. Obviously I was mistaken seeing as he, physically, didn’t survive
to the very end of the comic. When I finished the comic I had a lot of
analyzing to do. There’s a lot to take in at the end and I probably laid around
thinking about it for a good half hour after reading it. Eventually I gave up
thinking though because I wasn’t sure who was right or would happen following
it all. I think because I liked Rorschach from the start I tended to lean in
his direction after it all. I didn’t have much time to think about it any
further before I had read the assigned articles. The authors expressed exactly
how I was feeling at the end. Who was right and why? Of course the authors
delved deeper into the reasoning behind everyone’s actions. I wasn’t able to initially
because I was still in shock & awe at the end and even now I don’t fully
understand/accept the end. After reading the articles I’m even more unsure. They
discussed Rorschach’s dichotomist thinking which had me contemplating if he was
really in the right. I don’t think Veidt was right. After reading the article I’m
convinced that Rorschach wasn’t either. Jon’s actions at the end were probably
the worst for me to accept and then Laurie and Nite Owl became so passive.
There’s so much to take in at the end and so much to consider. When I thought I
could accept it in the end, we read article which turned my thought process
around. I still want to believe that Rorschach was in the right but I know he’s
not because of the evidence presented against him in the articles, particularly
the evidence calling him a hypocrite. My mind is swirling again thinking about
it all. It’s truly amazing that a comic could do this. It’s brilliant and I
really have no other words. This is probably because I’ve yet to fully make up
my mind about the ending and I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to. I’ve never
been this mind blown from a book ever. It’s been a great experience reading it.
No comments:
Post a Comment