Saturday, February 16, 2013

Let Me Tell Ya 'Bout My Best Friend


I decided to show my appreciation to my best friend on campus Erika Gray. For those of you who don’t know her she’s the hippie looking thing with blond dreadlocks. I’m a music major and she’s a music performance major. We have multiple classes together, we’re the same age and we’ll be roommates next year. She just laughed at me the entire time. I knew she would. I told her how much I valued her and how proud I was of her in all of her accomplishments. But I really did like voicing that sort of opinion to her. I don’t hear it enough as don’t most people. It was nice I could do that for her. I’m sure it actually meant something to her as well. She didn’t know how to handle it. Most people don’t. The reason for that is because people don’t voice appreciation enough. Sometimes we buy presents or cards for someone to show how much we appreciate them but people do not voice their appreciation. It’s become a material thing just like everything in this world it seems. I’m pretty old fashioned so voicing this to Erika wasn’t awkward for me. Voicing it to my family or anyone else wouldn’t be difficult for me either but I’m not sure how I would take it. I think I would welcome it. Who wouldn’t want to hear they’re appreciated in such a sincere way from someone that means something to them? It can’t be an empty appreciation as indicated by Chopra. People don’t like talking about their feelings though so when they finally do, it’s best not to lie. Be honest and completely true with how you feel. That way your true thoughts are voiced and those receiving your thoughts are able to know exactly how you feel about them. Erika knows exactly how I feel and because she does we’re able to build an even stronger relationship that it going to rock the socks off of next semester. 

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you on how people often try to show their appreciation through a material medium but actually voicing it almost always best. I realized this during Valentine's day. I was looking for a card for my girlfriend but then I realized I don't need a $6 card to tell her how I feel. Instead, I wrote her a very long note which was actually tougher to do than I expected lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you can easily tell people what they mean to you. It's nice to know that some people don't automatically close off their feelings and found this assignment to be simple. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me just start off by saying I love how you described Erika haha it's perfect!I'm glad that it was easy for you to voice this stuff to her. That must mean that you guys are super super close and have an unbreakable bond. It also helps that she's really chill and down to earth. I like how you tied Chopra into your post and yes, it is best to be 100% truthful with your friends. What good is there in building a friendship off of a lie?

    ReplyDelete