I've been sick the past few
days. I’m up coughing practically all night long and my sinuses are draining.
So today I've decided to go to drug store and pick up multiple cold medicines because
I’m running out. While at the drug store three armed masked men rushed towards
the register and demanded all the money along with all the narcotic drugs to
sell on the black market. It was terrifying. The store was full of elderly
patients and sick children who were waiting for their medicine. Suddenly the
Incredible Hulk busts into the drug store demanding cold medicine (you see he
has also been suffering from an annoying cold as well). Upon seeing the robbery
he also demanded the robbers drop their weapons. Of course they didn't immediately
comply but after a little rough housing the robbers willing left the store. The
young and elderly patients along with myself and the Hulk then toasted with
large shots of cough syrup.
Just last night I experienced a
large dose of nostalgia. My friends from home and I used to listen to certain
songs of certain genres a lot. A friend of mine tweeted lyrics to one of the
songs. I then youtubed a few of those songs and thought about how we all used
to be friends and always hung out and got into ridiculously innocent shenanigans.
I’m not in touch with half of them and I never make it down to the river to see
the ones I do still talk to when I am at home. I know that I was longing for
the feeling of ultimate belonging again. My future may hold arguments about
feeling wanted and or a sense of belonging. It may also cause me to reconnect
with the friends I’m still in touch with. I can say that I’ve been having
wavering feeling of belonging. I’ve been informally rushing a sorority and
arguing with friends about a full sense of belonging. This present feeling of
not being wanted caused my feelings of nostalgia and can explain the actions I’ve
taken since feeling those nostalgic feelings.
It must be something about music for me, but every time I hear a song from the 90s, it just reminds me of the simplistic life I lived. I used to complain about not having enough time to hang out with my friends, play video games, or even read. But that was all I did! And I have had several occasions when a song or something I read triggers memories with friends that I no longer talk to anymore. For example, I am a huge musical fan and obviously Les Mis just came out. For my senior year at high school, I was one of the stage managers for our musical that year which just happened to be Les Mis. The time I put into the play was unbelievable, and I remember coming home dead tired every night just to do homework, sleep and repeat. But I remember all the fun and not so fun things that happened during that time, and all moments I had with my friends. Now, when I hear a Les Mis song, I think of those friends I had and I wish I was still in touch with them.
ReplyDeleteI think that music plays a big part in what ways we experience nostalgia. It seems as if it is always the background to our memories and helps us remember the good times that every so often we forget.
ReplyDeleteI'm just going to say that I loved that you used the incredible hulk for your fictional suit interaction. The mental image I got of the Hulk toasting to a large shot of cough syrup is absolutely hilarious.
ReplyDelete