Friday, January 18, 2013

Who's My Favorite



I’m not at all familiar with any Super Heroes. The only contact I've ever had with any of them was upon viewing the Iron Man movies and partially watching the newest Batman. I believe it’s Dark Knight Rises? (I’m not sure that’s the correct movie, that’s how unfamiliar I am.) Knowing from what I've learned from the documentary, along with the two articles for class, I feel that I’m going to enjoy Batman the most. I’m drawn to Batman because unlike most of the other more popular Super Heroes, he’s darker and about vengeance and I think he’s got a very good reasoning as to why he seeks vengeance. His parents were killed in front of him and now he’s out for revenge. He doesn't have powers but has money so that he’s able to afford weaponry and Super Hero necessities such as transportation and a lair. I feel if any other regular human was in his situation, he would bask in his wealth and just look back at his parents’ death as an unfortunate event. However, Batman is unable to forgive and forget his parents’ death.
            I think the main reason I’m attracted to Batman is because he is the complete opposite of me.  And as they say, opposites attract. I’m a forgiving person and I can’t hold a grudge. The entire Batman series (to my knowledge) is based on revenge and a lifelong grudge against the thug who killed his parents. Batman has something I don’t. I’m not referring to his Super Hero wealth and identity but more to his Super Hero thought process about right and wrong; moreover, forgivable to unforgivable.
            If I were more able to hold a grudge and be like Batman I think that I would be in fewer relationships than I am in today. Batman would have seen actions as unforgivable and worthy of punishment. Punishment in his comic world being a swift “POW” or “WHAM” whereas my “punishment” would be changed feelings or lack of communication and/or respect. If I were able to realize the bad and hold onto the feelings I felt when I am hurt, it could save me from falling back into hurt caused by similar situations. Basically, if I had a thought process like Batman I could save myself. Ironic isn't it? If I think like a Super Hero, a masked man out to save others, I can actually save myself. 

4 comments:

  1. Joy, I am pretty unfamiliar with superheroes as well, but like you, I was most interested in Batman after reading the articles and watching the documentary. I find that Batman is so interesting because of his use of technology while fighting crime. The writers of Batman came up with so many different gadgets for him to use. I feel like it is a reflection on our society today and even our generation. We use technology on a daily basis to solve our problems and/or to make life easier for us. While we use technology for leisure, Batman uses it to fight evil. I found this concept very interesting and applicable to our society now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joy, I also agree with finding batman interesting because of his technology and lack of super powers. It has been shown, that Batman is the most obtainable and possible hero of any of them. He could actually exist and I think that this is important to why he has become so successful. Batman is arguably the most relatable superhero out there. His need for vengeance and his lack of super powers and reliance on technology make him one of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you when you say that Batman doesn't bask in his wealth, but yet furthers himself with helping his city. It makes him more likeable and more presentable. I also agree with what Larry said in his comment to your post where he adds to you stating that his money is there to afford weaponry since he has no "super powers", he can be real and it sets him apart from others because this can make kids want to grow up and do good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are all very good points. Batman is unique, not only in his lack of powers, but in his driving motivation. It would be especially interesting to think of Batman and his interactions with the other heroes as a model for how one might interact with others who may be stronger or more talented than you. Do you feel inferior, or do you draw from your strengths and build on them?

    ReplyDelete